The Freedom Model Difference
Discover The Difference between the Freedom model Program and Drug Treatment-Drug Rehab Programs
Everything! We know, this is a bold statement, but it’s the truth. Unfortunately these misconceptions are keeping you stuck in a pattern of heavy substance use, crisis, forced abstinence then back to heavy substance use. It becomes a vicious cycle – a trap!
Please understand, Addiction and Recovery are opposite sides of the exact same coin. Perpetual recovery is a type of perpetual struggle; it’s having to fear substances; it’s having to forever watch out for triggers and stressors. Perpetual recovery means going to meetings, “sober parties”, and missing out on special occasions where alcohol may be served. Perpetual recovery keeps you tied to your past struggles forever. You don’t have to feel shame and guilt for your past anymore. You don’t have to fear alcohol or drugs. You can be free from all of these counterproductive and limiting thoughts.
You can build a life free from addiction and perpetual recovery. Stop believing you are powerless to change and start believing you are capable of building the life you want. Start by experiencing the difference the Freedom Model offers.
THE FREEDOM MODEL IS A COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM WITH THREE PRIMARY GOALS:
- To debunk the massive, harmful mythology surrounding Addiction and to provide accurate information supported by research and evidence.
- To show people they do have the innate power and ability to change their habits, and that changing substance use habits and patterns can be easy and a positive experience when provided the truth.
- The Freedom Model is a non-12 step, non-disease based solution to all addictions providing research-based, factual information about substances and their usage, so people know they are totally in control of all of their choices and can make an informed decision about their lives moving forward.
Where treatment seeks to force you into abstinence using fear, lies, distortions, and bad science, The Freedom Model is rooted in personal freedom, finding your happiest options and envisioning your future completely free from addiction and perpetual recovery.
NON - TREATMENT
- Shows, through research, that you can change your substance use habits through choice and free will [+] ——————————————-
- Teaches the fact that addiction is not genetically inherited [+] ——————————————-
- Uses no labels or judgments ever [+] ——————————————-
- Teaches the fact that addiction is not a disease. Instead it is a series of repeated choices, habits, and behaviors [+] ——————————————-
- Uses a freedom and choice based educational model with no control or judgment ever [+] ——————————————-
- Uses education as basis of program [+] ——————————————-
- Non-religious that accepts all personal beliefs as valid for the individual [+] ——————————————-
- Implements a completely Personalized Approach with small class sizes and one-on-one education when requested by the guest.[+] ——————————————-
- Believes you have a brain disease. Teaches You are Powerless and the disease of addiction is Incurable ——————————————-
- Believes you genetically inherit an addiction gene. Teaches all Family Members are Diseased ——————————————-
- Uses labels such as addict, diseased, and alcoholic ——————————————-
- Believes that people have a chronic disease of Addiction Forever ——————————————-
- Creates limits & boundaries throughout treatment and in therapy sessions ——————————————-
- Uses therapy as basis of program
- Religious Affiliation incorporated In Treatment. You cannot change and only God can save you ——————————————-
- Implements group therapy sessions and 12 Step group meetings. In Treatment and forever after ——————————————-
THERE IS NO ADDICTION GENE
THERE IS NO DISEASE OF ADDICTION
Accordingly, there is no need for a harmful diagnosis or label, especially when no diagnosis or disease exists. At The Freedom Model Retreats, we don’t compartmentalize your personal problems by labeling you an addict or alcoholic. There is no evidence that addiction (i.e. using alcohol or drugs) was, or is a disease. Today it is widely believed that people can become “addicted” to any behavior including video gaming, surfing the internet and Facebooking, watching television, having sexual affairs, shopping, gambling, and even using lip balm. The disease theory states that these behaviors become involuntary once a person is “addicted”; however, all evidence points to the fact that people never lose the power of choice over their behaviors, including using drugs and alcohol. Consider that if people actually did lose control, no one would ever stop their addiction, not even to seek help, but millions of people stop their addictions every day. While those struggling with drug and alcohol use may feel powerless due to their habitual thinking, they are never actually powerless over their thoughts or behaviors. Treatment programs and those who tout the disease theory actually harm substance users by stripping them of any responsibility or accountability for their actions. Once a substance user buys into the notion that they are suffering from a progressive, incurable disease that renders them forever powerless over their thoughts and behaviors, this can create a state of hopelessness and severe depression. The more someone believes they are diseased, the less control they feel they have. These labels and beliefs can create self-defeating thoughts and lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy.
THE FREEDOM MODEL IS NOT TREATMENT
Our approach allows our guests to create and map out their own futures. We don’t seek to control our guests or manipulate as do treatment programs, because those methods are ineffective. We have concluded, after nearly three decades of helping people with serious alcohol and drug problems, that people will always do what they want to do, and no one can ever control another person. In other words, all people always maintain free will, autonomy and choice. As treatment programs are based on the erroneous idea that people lack personal control, rehabs are set up as a controlling environment (i.e. no contact with family/friends, no personal music devices, no cell phones, no laptops, no personal books, etc.). All addiction treatment therapy is used to subtly manipulate the individual to believe in their own powerlessness so that they will choose to abstain from the substance or substances over which they now believe they have no power. It’s a strange concept on its face, and is quite confusing to those seeking help. The Freedom Model is rooted in the truth that all people maintain control over their personal thoughts and behaviors at all times. Once substance users realize the control for their own lives is in their hands, they learn and implement new options that can replace drinking or drugging and the desire to use fades away.
RELIGIOUS AFFILIATIONS IN TREATMENT PROGRAMS
A higher power is frequently included in treatment models as a requirement for the patient to attain a sober lifestyle. In traditional court ordered rehab cases, the individual will be referred to a 12 Step program that will promote the belief that the only path to remain sober is if they surrender to a Higher Power or God. Not only is this forcing religion on people who may otherwise have different beliefs, it is causing people to feel they don’t have complete control over their own lives. This belief in a lack of personal control is the reason those methods are so ineffective. The Freedom Model Retreats are not affiliated with any religion, nor does our approach contain any kind of religious dogma or teachings. You will never be asked to believe in anything except your own innate personal power to overcome your substance use problems. If you are religious, you may continue to believe as you wish, as that is a highly personal choice. Personal, spiritual beliefs are held in high regard at The Freedom Retreats, as is your natural autonomy as an individual.
EDUCATION IS THE BASIS OF OUR PROGRAM
Many treatment centers offer talk therapy in conjunction with various “holistic” therapies such as equine therapy, acupuncture, meditation, and yoga as their “treatment methods.” While these therapies may be great for relaxation, there is no proven correlation between gaining and maintaining sobriety through holistic therapy. The Freedom Model is based on a method that has been shown to be effective for centuries – education. Each guest is guided through a comprehensive curriculum that is comprised of three attributes: your Free will, your Positive Drive Principle, and your Personal Autonomy. Various social activities are offered to reinforce interpersonal skills as well. The education and social components work together to create a personalized plan so each guest can learn the truth about addiction, become fully self-aware, and build a plan for their future. Rather than sitting in therapy simply talking about their problems and living in the past, our guests learn effective methods to identify and overcome problems as they arise, providing them with practical solutions long after they have completed the course.
GROUP THERAPY VS A PERSONALIZED SYSTEM
At The Freedom Model, we offer small classes of just one to three people with a certified Presenter. The primary method used in treatment programs is group therapy where patients sit around in a circle talking about problems and handing out advice to each other. These large group meetings have been shown to be ineffective and wholly unproductive which is why The Freedom Model does not use this method. The Freedom Model is the methodology where you engage in a process to create your own self-directed change, including new decisions on drug or alcohol use, based on your wants, desires, and goals for your own life. Our Freedom Model Certified Presenters will help you map out your personalized plan as you pick the goals you wish to pursue.